7.8.08

For Real, I mean really President GW Jr...I mean for real maaaaan


My people !! Yadadai!!




I have not posted since my return to Cabo Verde. To be quite honest, it has not been a result of no time, energy or topics to write about. I just have been in the mood to write my own personal things and not necessarily post them for the world to see. However, just before logging on to tell you guys what I have been ùp to in my mamaland, I made a stop at nytimes.com and was immediately struck with intense, sarcastic laughter when I read the article about Bush's visit to Thailand. I mean foooorrrrrr reeeeeeaallll, besides the fact that Thailand is not the best location to make a speech about democracy and human rights (but what country really is right?), GW Jr. actually had the balls to condemn the human rights situation in Burma Myanmar and China the very same day that Osama Bin Laden's former driver,Salim Ahmed Hamdan, was convicted of one out of two war crimes charges filed against him by Bush's new military commissions system.




We are talking about the same Mr. Hamdan from Hamdan v. Rumsfeld (2006), a case in which the supreme court of the United States ruled that the military commissions set up by Bush and his posse violated the Uniform Code of Military Justice aaaaaaand Common Article 3 of the Genevas Conventions which states the following:




In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each Party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following provisions:
(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed 'hors de combat' by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.
To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:
(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
(b) taking of hostages;
(c) outrages upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment;
(d) the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgment pronounced by a regularly constituted court affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.
(2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for.
An impartial humanitarian body, such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, may offer its services to the Parties to the conflict.
The Parties to the conflict should further endeavour to bring into force, by means of special agreements, all or part of the other provisions of the present Convention.
The application of the preceding provisions shall not affect the legal status of the Parties to the conflict.




I know it is easy to condemn, criticize and crucify Bush so usually I can hold my tongue when it comes to him because I have so many people to do the talking for me. However, the Hamdan ruling got my blood boiling again because I started thinking about the damn Military Commissions Act passed by the U.S. Congress. I just still cannot believe it. So, since it is normal that the average american or non-american even, is not completely familiar with the act, I have decided to post it to demonstrate that in the face of discussions surrounding human rights, Bush is no one to even slightly go there on the issue as he did in his speech in Thailand.



The Military Comssions Act:

-has consequences for citizens and non-citizens alike

- authorizes the President to detain, without charges, anyone whom he deems an unlawful enemy combatant

-eliminates habeas corpus review for aliens.

-makes providing "material support" to terrorists punishable by military commission.

-procedures allow for coerced testimony, the use of "sanitized classified information" (where the source is not disclosed)

- trial for offenses not historically subject to trial by military commissions. (Terrorism is not historically a military offense; it's a crime.)

-allows the president to authorize interrogation techniques that may nonetheless violate the Geneva Conventions and provides future and retroactive immunity for those who engage in or authorize those acts.


So, where do we draw the line between a lawful and unlawful enemy combatant? This act has eliminated any legal safeguards and has essentially allowed the Bush administration to conduct a manhunt against anyone they want to because they have refused to deem anyone a lawful enemy combatant, everyone is a terrorist and therefore subject to whichever methods the Bush administration deems necessary to carry out their persecution of the "enemy" (whoever that seems to be") and spread their power and control over strategic areas of interest around the world. So Bush is noone to talk about humanity and morals when his administration has designed an act to better control american citizens and non-citizens alike through fear (Boy i hear Foucault ringing in my ears).



Of course, the current administration is not the first government to follow through with such heinous acts but the U.S. government, as all governments, has the obligation to learn from past mistakes and events. Moreover, as arguably the most powerful country in the world, the U.S. is also obliged to set certain standards and adhere to binding treaties it has taken upon herself to sign! Why is it so much easier for us to want to hold China accountable for its violations and not the U.S.??? I am appalled by the role China has played in destabilizing certain African goverments and inter-continental relations as well as its conduct towards its own citizens but I thought four times before publicly condemning China without analyzing the why behind China's actions. Of course China should be held accountable but I am not going to sabotage its Olympics and hold a population accountable for something they cannot control. I know I'm digressing but my thoughts get all mixed when i get excited....but anyways, I am just tired about hearing all the fuss about China when noone steps back to analyze the past 100 years of China's history and noone steps back to notice how Muslims are viewed today. I have friends that I went to college with who had to leave the states because their dorm was set on fire. I know people who are afraid to walk around with their headscarves on. I know people who have changed their names from Ahmed to Charles! Of course I do not want Iran in possession of nuclear weapons but do we forget that it is practically 100% certain that Israel has them!!!!!! Do we forget that the U.S. has not complied with its obligations outlined in the nuclear non-proliferation treaty along with several other countries!!!



I mean seriously Bush! I am not saying we should not call out other goverments when they act a fool because I am a solid believer in making the world smaller and slowly eliminating borders (i know i know, idealism at its best ) but I seriously cannot looooook or listeeeen to you anymore!!!!


I'd rather listen to Sarkozy..... and that is saying aaaaaaaaaaalot.


ok, now that I've gotten out, I wish you all a very happy fun-filled weekend. I'm back to blogging so yea...


peace&balance friends :)

No comments: