26.8.08

OHHHHH DEEEAR: For Rosalie

I know I am constantly complaining about how much I miss my friends and fam in the states…and I am always reminiscing about old times, blah ladi ladi da….i knoooow. But I can’t help it! Take Rosalie for instance. When I left the states she was about 10 years old and now she is about to start highschool! And she likes boys! And she knows the lyrics to Lupe Fiasco songs! She can do her own hair, she pays attention to how cute she looks and is voicing her opinion in complete coherent sentences…and I missed that whole transition part so it was crazy to spend part of this summer with a cousin who has turned into a mature young woman (not) before my eyes. I am so proud of her. She plays the violin and is going to try out for volleyball in highschool (after about 10 years of pressuring her to play football, heehee).

I did spend half of the summer yellin’ at her because she spends all her time on the net chatting to her little friends but I have to say that internet communications is going to help me a lot with though. She is entering a phase in life that I always wanted to be present for. I never had an older sibling to give me advice about highschool life or puberty so I went to G.S. with an automatic defense guard up that made me come off as mean or pretentious. I don’t want Rosalie to be as insecure as I was and even though I yelled at her for chatting with her buddies all the time, I am grateful for the advances in technology that are going to allow me to be there for her even though an ocean separates us….and that goes for all of you as well. Can you imagine if I could not chat with you online or read your blogs or look at the most up-to-date pics of u….I would know nothing of you guys. I love having that lil’ insight into what’s going on in everyone’s lives. Those 5 minute chats or just hellos in passing to go to work or a class really make my day yo….for real.


This summer, seeing Rose as a young woman has made me feel very very old and oh so proud of you. And don’t worry, I shall eat the last piece of your auntie’s delicious homemade lasagna that you love oh so much, with you in mind :)

So Rosalie, as you embarck on your new journey I want you always to remember this quote and ask yourself this question:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? "



(This quote is often attributed to the great Nelson Mandela, but I am pretty sure he did not originally say this.... i dig it though :) )




I really miss those days with u...








.......................... or maybe not actually






you are sooooo white yo. If u had come out with Auntie Rosa's hair and not that nappy ball on your head, that u have since permed, i would think u were french, hehehe. Ok Ok, I know i'm not the darkest one in our bunch, hehehehe. Note: CapeVerde = Mother Africa's melting pot






















No comments: