16.7.08

Obama on Foreign Policy







The U.S presidential elections have captivated the whole world. Everyone is itching for change in the face of our current economic and political crisis. Now that it has hit home for many Americans, people are actually starting to pay attention to foreign policy, particularly that of the United States. Given the current situation, Obama's foreign policy speech focused mainly on Iraq and Afghanistan and he failed to make specific references to any other countries, choosing instead to quickly allude to Africa and the rest of the Middle East, noting his interest in creating stronger relationships with the AU and curbing Iran's nuclear potential because it is an ally of states that support terror. I wasn't too happy about the manner in which he spoke about Iran but he partly made up for it when he insisted that the only way of "containing" Iran is if the U.S. actually follows through with the responsibilites and measures laid out in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty. I'm glad, even though it was done indirectly, that he referenced the U.S.'s failure to go through with its commitments.

I have to say that even though I cannot vote, I am semi-obsessed with the U.S. elections and yearn to see democrats win the elections. I have been wary about Obama because many people were focusing on the wrong things when he won the running ticket. Don't get me wrong, something stirred in me when I saw someone win the nomination that does not speak with a Southern accent, was not born into wealth, and is bi-racial all at the same time, but I was scared that people were not following up on his policies and ideas so that's why I have posted the speech he made last night. When (if you are jocking Obama like I am) you defend his candidacy, fill yourself in on his policies because you can actually use them as arguments, hahahahaaaa.

peace my people

No comments: